a Staple of My Personal Meal Plan.
- a small onion diced
- 1 or 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 can 1.8 lbs. can of Progresso Small White Beans (rinsed)
- 1 can 1.8 lbs. can of Progresso Garbanzo Beans (rinsed)
- 1 cup of Unsalted Chicken Stock
The way I make them is; I dice an onion and saute in a little butter and olive oil, add some crushed red pepper flakes and crushed garlic. When I smell the garlic (only takes about 30 seconds)
I add 2 large cans of rinsed Progresso beans. I stir the beans with the onion and garlic and then add a little chicken stock. I let the beans simmer and get really tender, about 10 minutes. Then I puree them in a food processor. This makes about 8 portions.
They’re very filling and a good source of fiber and protein. Very little fat and no salt. They taste great hot or cold.
Much more flavor than mashed potatoes, pasta or rice. Anything I might put over potatoes, pasta or rice I can put over my mashed beans. I’ve been eating them for over 2 years and haven’t got tired of them yet.
For a change I have added to my Bean Puree,
- Pumpkin Puree, Cinnamon and Ground Nutmeg (tastes like Pumpkin Pie)
- Curry Powder, Turmeric, Cinnamon & Cayenne for a Mid Eastern flavor.